In this substantial pendant, the bezel-set crocodile tooth and skin references the crocodile.
The bezel set crocodile tooth hangs from a trilliant (triangle) cut citrine. Above this is almost another triangle inset with the skin from a crocodile, set in silver. Between this and the colourless kunzite crystal are four natural corals that connect the body of the pendant to the horizontally set kunzite crystal. The crystal is held by two silver bands, pave set with hessonite garnets. From this is a decorative chain that goes around the neck. The crocodile tooth has been filled with dental resin to strengthen it.
Jane Magon grew up in Port Moresby, PNG. Jane’s father used to go crocodile hunting in the Waigani Swamp outside Port Moresby.
The pendant and necklace is an ironic and playful result of Jane’s childhood memories.
This pendant is suitable for a man or a woman.
Matching earrings also available
Each Jane Magon piece is hand crafted and unique.
Item code: PEN. 20 (a)Price on Application
Childhood Stories: Crocodile Nightmares
(Papua New Guinea c. 1958)
The first ten years of my childhood were spent in Port Moresby in Papua and New Guinea, (just after World War 2 From 1950 to 1960). My father was a great ‘shot’ with a marvellous collection of guns. He used to go crocodile hunting in the Waigani Swamp outside Port Moresby in the 1950s with his (they are both now deceased) and quite famous English/Australian friend Tom Cole, an original ‘Crocodile Dundee’.
Tom authored many real-life adventure books drawn from his own life such as Hell, West and Crooked (Angus & Robertson (Harper Collins) 1988, 9995). The crocodiles were enormous, plentiful, hungry, and regularly took the indigenous people who came to the water’s edge.
I remember Dad and Tom talking about the hunt (taking place at night). This was done by searching for the pairs of red eyes that gleamed at them from the dark water, while aiming to hit them between their two shining eyes from the water.
As a child living in a highly stressful colonial environment, I was tormented with nightmares …
The owner of this piece will receive the end of the story with the pendant.
- The bezel set crocodile tooth (2.4 inches or 9cm) hangs from a
- trilliant (triangle) cut citrine (15.12mm x 156.34mm)
- above this is almost another triangle inset with the skin from a crocodile
- set in silver (3 inches x 3.1 inch or 84mm x 80mm)
- Between this and the kunzite crystal are four natural corals (1/4 inch or 6+ mm)
- that connect the body of the pendant to the horizontally set
- kunzite crystal (13.8mm or 5.3 inches long by 3/4 inch or 18.88mm wide)
- The crystal is held by two silver bands pave set with small hessonite garnets
- From this is a decorative chain that goes around the neck
- The crocodile tooth has been filled with dental resin to strengthen it
- LENGTH: CHAIN (21 1/2 inches or 54.5 cm)
- PENDANT LENGTH: 7 1/2 inches or 19cm)
- Suitable for a man or woman