Jane Magon’s first ten years were spent in Port Moresby in PNG. Jane’s father loved music and played his records loudly. Jane loved him playing Bill Haley’s song, “Rock around the clock tonight”.
In this necklace the “Rock” refers to both the genre of music, “rocks” as stones in the necklace – and rocks on the river bank.
The bezel-set piece of crocodile skin literally ‘sets the scene’, while the crocodile tooth set in silver and red garnets refers to the colour of their eyes at night and the little carved jade pig references the crocodile’s regular meal of ‘bush pig’. The lava bead, slice of agate and the uncut citrine refer to the raw nature and colours of the environment and the cartridge casing to the crocodile hunt.
The child’s watch-face is a light-hearted reference to Jane’s memories of the song “Rock Around the Clock Tonight”.
Each Jane Magon piece is hand crafted and unique.
USD$5,529 Item code: B.S. 22 (a)
Rock Around the Croc Tonight
Usually childhood stories are those, mostly ‘safe’ stories read to children to help them settle into their bed and prepare them for restful sleep.
My first ten years were spent in Port Moresby in Papua and New Guinea, just after World War II. My father loved music and played his records loudly, to our great delight: Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and numerous jazz and rock musicians. I loved him playing Bill Haley’s song, “Rock around the clock tonight”. In this necklace the “Rock” refers to the genre of music and “rocks” as in stones in the necklace and rocks on the river bank.
My father was a great ‘shot’ with a marvellous collection of guns. He used to go Crocodile hunting in Waigani Swamp outside Port Moresby in the 1950s with his (they are both now deceased) quite famous English/Australian friend Tom Cole, an original ‘Crocodile Dundee’.
- The large Crocodile tooth (65mm long) was ‘dropped’ naturally
- Tooth cap is set with 3 x square cut garnets (approx. 6.04 x 6.69mm)
- a small piece of skin of farmed crocodile (85 x 41mm) in a half circle shape
- 5 x Canadian opalised amolites (19 x 11mm)
- ‘triangle’ (18 x 13 x 12mm) & 3 x squares (7x 6mm to 7 x 8mm)
- agates (irregular 64 x 55)
- round green agate (37 diameter)
- lava (19.56mm)
- vintage child’s watch (32mm diameter)
- 1 x lovely faceted cognac quartz (10.75 x 13mm)
- hand carved beer quartz (20 x 24mm)
- ‘caramel’ jade pig (25 x 18mm)
- uncut citrine crystal (44 x 27mm)
- lime chrysoprase (19.86mm)
- agate bead (14.16mm)
- African amber bead (22.64mm)
- set in sterling silver
- LENGTH: 67cm to 24 1/2 inches.